Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Freshman Reflection

Once, during my early years of high school when my good friend Alex and I were talking about what college might be like, she so eloquently revealed to me: "The only thing I know about college is that you go there to learn more stuff." 

We laughed about this. It's been on my favorite quotations list on Facebook for the past four years. But Alex, ultimately, was right, and I now present,

THE STUFF I LEARNED MY FRESHMAN YEAR OF COLLEGE
BUT NOT REALLY SCHOOL RELATED STUFF BECAUSE THAT MOSTLY RELATES TO FACTS ABOUT THE HISTORY OF EARLY JUDAISM

  • Good friends come when you aren't trying. It sounds dorky and kind of like something that would be on a poster in a kindergarten classroom, but it's true. We should have been taking those dumb phrases to heart. They really prepare you for the real world.
  • Seriously though - friends. There is a whole world of different people out there. Don't limit yourself to thinking that all of your friends must be carbon copies of yourself and your interests. Change with people. See some new perspectives. And they will learn from you too.
  • Being friends with guys is cool. This is something everyone else kind of figured out like, ages ago, but I'm usually a little slow to pick up on these things.
  • The class that makes you want to cry the most may end up being the most important class you take. This is not necessarily true of the content. I'm not saying you'll become ecstatic about the life and times of the ancient Jews traipsing about in the Diaspora - but you might become enthusiastic about the miracle of education and the miracle that is your capacity for learning. You might give your professor a hug and realize you just had a "college moment" and mentally take back any harsh words you may have uttered against Josephus while wallowing in the library at 1 in the morning. You may then realize you kind of kick ass academically. This is all hypothetical, of course.
  • Remember that liking and loving and caring are human things. You feel them because you are human and as much as it sucks, it is also awesome. And one time, or many times, it won't suck and you will remember that being human is probably worth it.
  • There are people who like to talk and talk and talk and talk in class. Listen to what they have to say, but do not feel intimidated. A lot of people talk just to talk. This is a skill. Ignore their big words and raise your hand and say something. No one is going to think it's dumb - they're going to be jealous that they didn't have the guts to stick their hand in the air before you did. Everyone you're with got in for some reason. You're not the exception, and you belong there. Get that hand up.
  • I learned from a really young age that procrastination was Not My Thing. This has helped me academically all my life. It has not helped me, or anyone, socially. I thought coming to college would stop me from being teased for NOT being up all night writing a paper due the next day. If you thrive on that adrenaline, godspeed, my friend. I do not. We all pay some price.
  • Sometimes you might want to cry so you'll take an extra shower because your roommates are like birds of prey and you're some sort of corpse. They won't leave you alone. Crying is normal. Just do it.
  • The definition of home is still being reworked and written in my head. This is ok.
  • Do not be afraid of being passionate. My school is filled with activists, and I think they're awesome and some of the coolest and most respectable people on campus. Even if you're not supporting a cause, support yourself. Don't let anyone try to tell you that what you like is dumb or not very cool. There are always people who understand. College is a place to grow up, and if someone can't respect your desire and will to learn and explore, forget them.
  • That 10-20 page paper SOUNDS scary, but it's actually not once you start.
  • People will love you when you are just you. Find your personal style. Do your hair how you want. Dress up. Dress down.
  • If you don't want to drink or party no one actually cares and you should do whatever you want.
  • If you do want to drink and party no one actually cares and you should do whatever you want (responsibly). 
  • There are always new people to meet and new places to go and new traditions to start. Do not feel limited.
  • I can do a lot more than I originally thought I was capable of. Everyone learns this. I don't know when. But I learned it this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment